Baggage Handling Simulation
With the simulation software Enterprise Dynamics®, each process and type of equipment within the Baggage Handling System can be represented to be able to thoroughly analyze the system and experiment with allocations of baggage. Use Enterprise Dynamics® to support well-informed decisions about creating, expanding or updating the Baggage Handling System (BHS) of your airport.
- Which design of the BHS does fit best to the expected needs?
- Is the system redundancy sufficient to deal with failures?
- What are the baggage flows in the machines for Hold Baggage Screening?
- Is there enough capacity to accommodate the new seasonal flight schedule?
Simulation provides additional insight which helps to make informed decisions. Evaluate use cases and build business cases based on numbers that are widely supported throughout the organization. Present the outcome of different scenarios and the effect of each decision in a way people understand and can link to what is happening in the BHS.
Let the Enterprise Dynamics® simulation software help you in shaping the future use of your airport.
Key Features of Enterprise Dynamics
- A powerful simulation platform for large-scale systems, 32-bit and 64-bit
- State-of-the-art 2D & 3D visualizations
- Easy to use graphical user interface
- “Drag & Drop” model building
- Experiment wizard
- No model limitations
Easy to extend
- Comprehensive object libraries and additional packages for different application areas
- Extended set of pre-defined and user-defined control rules
- Create your own object library and modify existing objects
- Extended result reporting module and standard output
- interfaces based on industry standards
- Import your own 3D models
- Open architecture; input and output connection based on all industry standards
Used by industry leaders
A closer look at baggage handling simulation
Airports are very dynamic environments where situations change per season, per week, per day and even per 5 minutes. Baggage Handling Systems must deal with short connection transfer bags, overnight storage, peak input flows and strict security regulations. This requires a robust infrastructure and optimized business control rules.
Enterprise Dynamics© has shown to be a valuable asset in testing and optimizing designs and processes of the baggage handling processes by:
- Integral BHS simulation
- Check-in planning optimization
- Reclaim allocation
- Improving transfer unloading and handover capacity
Pinpointing the problem
A simulation of the infrastructure and processes in the BHS will indicate how complicated and dependent all elements are. The resulting performance indicators and visualization can provide insight in bottlenecks and potential capacity problems. For instance:
- Baggage that is missing the connection
- Queues at conveyors before sorting loops
- Long transport times and recirculation at buffer loops
and many other indicators that demonstrate a negative effect on the bag handling times and the overall travel experience of the passenger.
Evaluate and judge possible solutions
But it doesn’t stop there. After pinpointing potential problems before they occur, simulation also offers the possibility to check and compare how effective the possible solutions are:
- Is the expansion of the make-up capacity really necessary, or is it possible to use the available infrastructure in a more efficient way?
- Is an extra block of check-in desks required?
- Is the current baggage handling system able to cope with an extra unloading quay?
- Does additional capacity result in realistic connection times for both the passenger and their baggage?
Airport operators, airlines, baggage handling companies; they can all have a different view on problems in the BHS and solutions. Use simulation to finish these discussions and create solutions that are supported and trusted by all stakeholders. Allow independent comparisons based on the performance indicators in the simulation model and let the 3D-visualization be decisive to convince everyone about the best answer to the baggage handling problem.
With the acquired knowledge and experience of the past 25 years, INCONTROL can proudly say that Enterprise Dynamics® is the most appropriate simulation software to analyze and optimize processes within Baggage Handling Systems.
Contact us to find out how you can benefit from using Enterprise Dynamics®.