Airport Passenger Flows
The Pedestrian Dynamics® simulation software is a very effective simulation tool to test and optimize layouts and all passenger processes at airports and to compare design alternatives. Get information about utilization of areas and queueing at all passenger processes for check-in and reclaim, security and passport control, transfer desks and boarding.
- Does the design of the Terminal provide sufficient space?
- Are there enough stairs, escalators and elevators and are the walkways wide enough?
- Is the equipment capacity sufficient at any location?
- What are the peak flows at security and passport control?
Simulation provides additional insight which helps to make informed decisions. It enables you to evaluate use cases and prevent failures. Use the 3D-visualisation to present the outcome of different scenarios and the effect of each decision in a way people understand and can link to what is happening at the terminal.
Let the Pedestrian Dynamics® simulation software help you in shaping the future use of your airport.
Analyze, optimize, and visualize pedestrian crowds in any infrastructure with Pedestrian Dynamics.
Ease of Use
- Intuitive UI
- Rapid model building
- Easy scenario definition
- Video tutorials
Import of industry standards
- CAD, BIM, XML, CityGML and many more
- Integrated 2D, 3D & VR models
Fast simulation runs
- Fast simulation by multithreading
- Simulation of large realistic crowds up to 100,000
Reliable & Robust
- Based on research insights
- Validated and verified
- In compliance with various international guidelines
Unique agent properties
- Intelligent dynamic routing
- Microscopic and mesoscopic
- Based on probabilities
- Integrated output module with automatic report generation.
- Easy movie playback and recording
- Extensive set of model drawing tools
Used by industry leaders
“The results from INCONTROL’s software provide important insights into which parameters we need to pay most attention to during further development of the security system, and to see the effects of multiple operational concepts early on. They allow us to tailor our efforts to the most promising concepts, and use our resources most effectively.”
A closer look at airport passenger flow simulation
In an airport terminal everything should be perfectly tuned in order to provide passengers a safe and enjoyable time and make traveling by plane a pleasant experience. So, despite the fluctuations in arriving flights and passengers large waiting lines and overcrowded areas must be avoided.
How to realize this when flights schedules are changing, passenger numbers are growing, and international security regulations are subject to modification? Airports need more insights and forecasts and need to avoid situations that could negatively influence the overall travel experience of the passenger:
- The new season schedule is causing problems
- Queue times in front of check-in and the security filters stay within limits
- The staff planning needs to be adjusted
- The piers can be evacuated in time if there is an emergency situation
Detect the bottlenecks
Simulation with the Pedestrian Dynamics® software offers the solution to provide the required insights and potential bottlenecks. You can create a model of the complete infrastructure for passenger handling or smaller models focusing on specific areas. An integral model will indicate the complexity and dependency of all terminal elements; local models focus in more detail on specific areas or processes. Performance indicators can address questions like:
- Are the minimum transfer connection times still feasible?
- Is the number of available (and staffed) screening lanes sufficient during the peak hours?
- What are the waiting times and the number of passengers in the reclaim areas?
- Are there delays in the passenger flow caused by to small corridors?
and many other previously unanswered questions.
Evaluate and judge possible solutions
The ultimate goal of simulation is not just to detect the bottlenecks, but also to understand the value of potential solutions. By performing scenarios it is possible to test and compare the effectiveness of several adjustments or measures, such as:
- Is the expansion of the reclaim area really necessary, or is it possible to utilize the available infrastructure in a more efficient way?
- What is the additional capacity if an extra staff shift is used at the security filter?
- How much is the reduction of evacuation times with the alternative emergency plan?
Airport operators, airlines, ground handling companies; they can all have a different view on problems in the Terminal and solutions. Use simulation to finish these discussions and create solutions that are supported and trusted by all stakeholders. Allow independent comparisons based on the performance indicators in the simulation model and let the 3D-visualization be decisive to convince everyone about the best answer to the passenger flow issues.
Pedestrian Dynamics© is the simulation software that has proven time after time to be able to give the answers needed for analysis and optimization of airport terminals.
Contact us to find out how you can benefit from the use of Pedestrian Dynamics®.