Pedestrian Dynamics® is a comprehensive crowd simulation software application. It is designed for the creation and execution of large pedestrian simulation models in complex infrastructures. It can be used to evaluate the performance and safety of your environment in every phase of the life cycle; from design to operations.
- Offers a rapid model building simulation environment which saves time and costs. Only a few steps are required to model pedestrian flows in most complex operations.
- Is flexible, robust and easy to use.
- Has been used widely in many large scale projects to simulate crowd flows in most critical infrastructure environments including stadiums, airports, public transport terminals, mega events and urban planning.
Stadiums & Arenas
Crowd Safety, security and capacity management are important issues during the design and construction phases of stadiums and arenas. Even if the location is already in use, new and existing conditions will regularly have to be reconsidered because every event or activity in the stadium has its own organization and therefore guidelines for safety and capacity. And of course, you want your visitors feeling safe and satisfied about their visit.
How much time do I need to evacuate my stadium? Does my stadium meet the requirements of sports confederations? What is the maximum safety capacity in relation to the entry flow rate and holding capacity? How many emergency exits, toilets, lockers and staff do I need and where do I need them? What positions for catering are most suitable to maximize both safety & security requirements and commercial revenues?
These are all issues that can be answered with simulation software by modeling and analyzing pedestrian flows.
Simulation software provides solutions during the design, construction and operational phase, in order to:
- Determine technical requirements for your stadium, based on their expected use or authority demands (FIFA, UEFA, National FA’s, Government);
- Determine commercially attractive areas within your stadium;
- Gain insight into complete infrastructure, visitor flows, bottlenecks and (safety)risks;
- Test and compare different alternative (emergency) scenarios, such as evacuations, partial evacuations and in- and outflow of visitors;
- Develop evacuation- and contingency plans;
- Develop and evaluate mobility- and infrastructure plans;
- Save time and money by testing various functionalities of your stadium during the design phase.
Get insight into pedestrian flows and bottlenecks in your stadium
Simulating visitor flows gained ground the last few years. An important reason is that safety and security of visitors has become one of the main issues during large scale events and during the construction of stadiums. In addition it gives answers to complex issues related to capacity management and commerce in stadiums. Simulation software gives insight into visitor flows and possible bottlenecks in the modeled situation. Many different parties, such as venue owners event organizers, soccer clubs, architects, authorities, emergency services are already using simulation software to support their mission. INCONTROL offers its own crowd simulation platform Pedestrian Dynamics®.
During the design- and operational phase of large passenger ships –such as cruise ships, ocean liners and ferries – and passenger terminals, capacity and safety are important themes. Whether it’s a ferry or a luxury cruise ships, the vessel must be designed to handle the required amount of passengers. The placement and quantity of facilities is important in order to have a good flow of satisfied passengers, even with a maximum occupancy of the ship. In addition, to make a proper planning it is important to gain insight into the time that is needed to leave or transfer of the ship.
Safety is one of the key themes when accommodating passengers. How much time do we need to evacuate the ship? How many lifeboats do we need and where? These questions are easy to answer using simulation software.
With simulation software you can easily model the infrastructure of your ship and analyze pedestrian flows. During the design- and operational phase simulation software offers you the following benefits:
- Save money and time by evaluating the capacity and safety of the vessel during the design phase;
- Determine the number and location of necessary facilities: how many cash registers at the buffet, how many toilets, how many seats on the inside- and outside deck;
- Determine technical requirements for your vessel, based on their expected use or authority demands;
- Evaluate the capacity and safety of your current infrastructure and test alternatives;
- Present the design of the ship, including pedestrian flows in a 2D- and 3D-visualization to your stakeholders;
- Develop timetables and a proper planning for the boarding, deboarding and transfer of passengers and their vehicles;
- Develop evacuation and contingency plans.
Complex logistics issues
Simulating pedestrian flows has gained ground the last few years. An important reason is that safety of visitors has become one of the main issues on locations where large crowds exist. In addition simulation provides answers to complex, logistic issues related to capacity management and commercial use of facilities. Many different parties, such as ship designers, architects, authorities and emergency services are already using simulation software to support their mission. INCONTROL offers its own simulation platform Pedestrian Dynamics®.
The project experience and knowledge of the INCONTROL developers and engineers are used for the ongoing development of the software. Together with the knowledge network of INCONTROL, which will be used optimally at all times and made available for every customer, INCONTROL offers state-of-the-art simulation solutions. Examples of projects include: Study for pedestrian flows and capacity analysis regarding a new design for a ferry: What are the occupancy rates of toilets and catering? What are the waiting times and lead/processing times? How crowded will it be per square meter?
Crowd Safety, capacity management and commerce are important issues in preparation for and during the execution of large-scale events. The area should be set-up in the right way in order to: cope with the maximum number of visitors, maximize sales by making Food & Beverage- and Merchandise stands easy accessible and in case of emergency the area should be evacuated safe and quick. Also, emergency services and local authorities need to be convinced of safety plans and risk scenarios. In addition, proper planning of facilities (how many ticket booths, lockers, toilets, etc. and where should they be located?) and staff (guards, traffic controllers, stewards, etc.) are important for the logistic flow and safety of visitors.
The challenges mentioned are all linked to one goal: satisfied visitors. A satisfied visitor is after all a returning visitor. The simulation software of INCONTROL helps overcome these challenges.
Simulation software is the solution for simulating pedestrian flows in complex infrastructures and can be used to evaluate the performance and safety of an environment. With the help of simulation software you can:
- Save time and money by testing the performance and safety of the event site during the concept phase;
- Determine commercial attractive locations on the event site;
- Evaluate and compare emergency scenarios such as the in- and outflow of visitors and evacuations;
- Develop evacuation- and contingency plans for organization and emergency services;
- Present the event site in a 3D visualization to your stakeholders;
- Map the complete infrastructure, pedestrian flows and bottlenecks (risks);
- Develop the most optimal infrastructure and planning of facilities and staff;
- Understand what impact an event (for example a marathon) has on a city.
Complex logistics issues
Simulating pedestrian flows gained ground the last few years. The most important reason is that safety and security of visitors has become one of the main issues during large scale events. In addition it provides answers to complex, logistic issues related to capacity management and commerce during events. Many different parties, such as event organizers, architects, authorities, emergency services, etc. are already using simulation software to support their mission. INCONTROL offers its own simulation platform Pedestrian Dynamics®.
Shopping malls, theme parks, expositions and other commercial venues are dealing with the same challenge: How do crowds use their space? Commercial attractive areas and retail locations need to be placed logically in order to serve everyone and increase sales. Passageways must provide sufficient capacity for all visitors and the venue has to be evacuated safely and effectively in case of emergency. And in complex urban settings, the demands of other stakeholders (police, local authorities) can impose regulatory constraints. In addition to all of these challenges, there is no such thing as an ‘ordinary day’. Sales, special events, the weather and other variables affect the number of visitors and the visitor flows.
Simulation software is the solution for simulating visitor flows in complex infrastructures and can be used to evaluate the performance and safety of the people and venue. Simulation software enables you to:
- Determine commercial attractive areas for retailers and commercial business.
- Determine lead an waiting times for retail facilities, rest room facilities, entrances, and so on.
- Evaluate the capacity and safety of passages, walkways, turnstiles, etc.
- Gain insight in the effect of special events or shows on specific locations in your venue.
- Test and compare different scenarios, such as law enforcement and security measures, emergency evacuation and response plans, inflow and outflow of visitors, etc.
- Gain insight into the complete infrastructure environment, visitor flows, bottlenecks and safety risks.
- Present the infrastructural design of your commercial venue with visitor flows in a 2D and 3D visualization and report to your stakeholders.
- Determine the evacuation times and develop evacuation scenarios and contingency plans.
- Save time and money by testing and validating various functionalities during the design phase.
Safety, capacity and commerce at commercial venues
Crowd simulation has gained ground in the last few years. The visitors’ safety has become the primary concern for large commercial venues. Crowd simulation provides answers to complex, logistical issues related to commerce and capacity management. As a result event organizers, architects, authorities and emergency services are using simulation software to support their mission. INCONTROL offers its own crowd simulation platform Pedestrian Dynamics®.
Cities & Infrastructures
An urban center, a residential area or other infrastructure within a city should be designed in such a way to let people live, work and recreate. This requires an understanding of logistical flows such as pedestrian flows and mobility. Retailers want to know where to locate in the city center in order to have the most visitors, a town planner will plan a park in order to attract as many people as possible and the local authorities want a city to be easy accessible for residents and visitors at all times. And for temporary changes in the infrastructure -such as an event or urban renewal- capacity, mobility and accessibility are themes that always should be taken into account. But how?
Simulation software is the solution for answering capacity-, mobility- and accessibility issues within complex infrastructures. With the help of simulation software you can:
- Evaluate the capacity and accessibility of your urban environment.
- Gain insight in the consequences of temporary changes in your infrastructure for the capacity and accessibility.
- Understand the effects of open events, demonstrations, marches, etc. in your city or surroundings.
- Determine commercial attractive locations within your urban environment.
- Present the design of your infrastructure in a 2D and 3D visualization to your stakeholders.
- Plan functionalities such as shopping centers, playgrounds, etc. within your infrastructure, during the design phase, based on the expected pedestrian flows .
- Map the complete infrastructure, pedestrian flows and bottlenecks (risks).
- Develop security plans.
Safety, capacity, urban planning and commerce
Simulating pedestrian flows has gained ground the last few years, partly due to incidents such as Occupy protests in major city centers. In addition it provides answers to complex, logistical issues related to capacity management, urban-planning, commerce and safety & security. Many different parties, such as event organizers, architects, authorities, emergency services, etc. are already using simulation software to support their mission. INCONTROL offers its own simulation platform Pedestrian Dynamics®.